Michael E. Milne is a shareholder in the firm's Orlando office, and he is well versed in handling complex multi-party litigation, including claims for water intrusion, defects, delays, errors and omissions and contract disputes. He has represented all tiers of the construction industry, including owners, general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals and material suppliers.
Mr. Milne has significant experience with issues involving building envelope, lien law, architectural design and engineering. He has co-lectured seminars on lien law and performance and payment bonds. Mr. Milne also has extensive experience in contract review and drafting for general contractors and subcontractors.
Areas of Practice:
- Construction Litigation
- Design Error and Omission Claims - Surety/Bond Claims - Florida's Construction Lien Law - Bid Protests - Collections
- Florida Bar Board Certified - Construction Law - Certified Continuing Education Instructor, State of Florida
- 2002, Florida - U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- University of Florida, Levin College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- University of Florida (B.A., 1998)
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- The Florida Bar - Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida, Board Member - Orange County Bar Association
- Orange Economic Development Commission, Orange and Orlando Teams - American Bar Association
- Associates Counsel of Association of General Contractors, Subcommittee of RPPTL for Green Buildings - Leadership Orlando, Class 76 - The Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida
- "Florida Lien Law, Bond/Surety Law, Chapter 558-Construction Defects and General Liability and Workers' Compensation", City Electric Seminar, 2013- "The Key Ingredients for a Proper Assessment, Strong Defense and Favorable Resolution of a Construction Defect Case", Westfield Insurance, 2013- "Construction Defects", Rimkus Seminar, 2013- "We're Cookin' Now - The Key Ingredients for a Proper Assessment, Strong Defense and Favorable
Resolution of a Construction Defect Case, Kubicki Draper, Claims Management Conference, 2012 - "Construction Lien Law" U.S. Kustom, Lunch and Learn, 2012
- "Construction Chinese Drywall, Preclusion of Stigma Damages In Construction Defect Cases and A Sampling of Florida", Kubicki Draper, Claims Management Conference, 2010
- "Eichleay Damages and Delay Claims," Lorman Education Teleconference, March 2010 - Using a Construction Lien to Get Your Money, National Business Institute Seminar, June 2007 - Legal Issues at Your Precast Plant, National Precast Concrete Association, February 2007 - Florida Construction Lien Law and Updates, Open Seminar, June 2005
Special Awards and Recognitions:
- Named Florida "Rising Star" by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2012 - Named Florida "Super Lawyer" by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013
- Rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell
- "Construction Law Update: New Law Allows Design Professionals to Contractually Limit Liability." Kubicki Draper Quarterly, Spring 2013 - "Substantial Amendment to Chapter 558 - Construction Defects: Amendment Affects All Contracts Executed After October 1, 2009," Alert - January 12, 2010, Construction - "Florida Court Rules on Statute of Limitations for Claims Against Subcontractors Under Performance Bonds," Alert - June 12, 2009, Construction - "Practical Considerations to Recovery for Damages Caused by Latent Construction Defects," 2008 Construction Law Institute
- Universal Studios – CityWalk: Represented owner in prosecution of errors and omissions design claims.
- Las Vegas Monorail: Defended engineer of record in complex design/build errors and omissions design claims.
- Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library: Defended engineer of record in complex errors and omissions design claims over $30 million.
- Orlando World Center Marriott (North Tower): Defended general contractor against construction defect stucco application water intrusion claims over $6 million.
- Tampa Gibbons Federal Courthouse: Defended curtain wall subcontractor on construction defect water intrusion claims over $7 million.
- Poinciana High School: Prosecution of large bond claim on behalf of electrical supplier.
- Baldwin Park Condominiums: Defended window installation subcontractor on multi-party complex construction and design defect claim over $25 million.