Steve Cozart leads the Pensacola, Florida and the Mobile, Alabama offices. Steve’s practice is centered primarily on civil litigation with a focus on complex litigation in products liability, professional liability, construction and high exposure personal injury claims. Steve has extensive trial experience in State and Federal Courts, as well as State and Federal Administrative Tribunals. Steve has been awarded an “AV Preeminent” rating by Martindale-Hubbell, which represents the highest ethical and quality rating bestowed by his peers. He is a frequent lecturer and has presented numerous seminars and presentations designed for attorneys and claims adjusters.
Areas of Practice:
Steve is a native of Santa Rosa County, Florida. After graduating from Jay High School, he received his undergraduate degree from the University of Alabama and his law degree from Mississippi College School of Law. While in law school, he was the Comment Editor for the Mississippi College Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Board. Steve practiced on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for eight years before returning home to Pensacola in 2004. He is currently licensed to practice in Florida, Mississippi and Alabama, and he maintains an active practice in all three States.
Steve resides in Gulf Breeze, Florida with his wife, Amy, and their three sons, Jake, Charlie and Ben. He remains active in the community by serving as Chairman of the Santa Rosa County Emergency Services Advisory Committee (ESAC) and as attorney for the Town of Jay, Florida. In his spare time, he enjoys sailing, camping and spending as much time as possible in the outdoors.
- Products Liability - Construction Defects - Transportation, Trucking & Logistics - Automobile - Commercial/Corporate - Municipal Law - Professional Liability
- 1995, State of Mississippi - 1998, State of Florida - 2004, State of Alabama - U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit - U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit - U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida - U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama - U.S. District Court, Northern District of Mississippi - U.S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- Certified Continuing Education Instructor, State of Florida
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, MS (J.D., 1995) Honors: Law Review, Comment Editor; Moot Court Board - University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (B.A., 1992)
- "First Party First Rate Defense", Rimkus, 2016 - "Bad Faith: Top Ten Pitfalls to Avoid", Gulf Coast Association for Insurance Professionals, 2015 - "Balcony Collapse: Understanding the Pitfalls & Limiting Exposure", Property & Liability Resource Bureau (PLBR), 2015 - "5 - Hour Law & Ethics Update", GEICO, 2015 - "Ethics for the Claims Professional", Gulf Coast Association for Insurance Professionals, 2014 - "5 - Hour Law & Ethics Update", FCCI Insurance Group, 2014 - "Case Law Update: Defending Percutaneous Discectomies", Sedgwick, 2014 - "Proposals for Settlement, Utilization of Motions and Production on Documents", Gainsco Insurance, 2013 - "Set Offs in Personal Injury Cases", GEICO Insurance, 2013 - "Mediation Techniques", GEICO Insurance, 2013 - "Dirty Litigation Tactics" How to Deal with the 'Rambo' Litigator", Pensacola, FL 2012 - "Closing Arguments, Perspectives and Persuasion", Orlando, FL 2012 - "Ethics for the Claims Professional", Tallahassee & Pensacola, FL 2012 - "SIU: Tips and Tactics for Discovery and Preserving Evidence of Fraudulent Claims", Pensacola, FL 2012 - "Bad Faith & Claims Handling," Orlando, FL 2011 - "Medicare Super-Liens, Set Asides and Notice Provisions," Gainesville, FL 2011 - "Litigating Insurance Coverage Claims: From Start to Finish", Pensacola, FL 2011 - "A Case Study in Settlements and Releases", Pensacola, FL 2011 - "Tactics for Handling Claims Involving MRSA", Sarasota, FL 2010 - "Uninsured Motorist Benefits Coverage: A Survey of Florida Law," Orlando, FL 2010 - "Ethical Considerations for Claims Adjusting in Florida (or – How to Keep your Job)," Lake Mary, FL 2009 - "Florida Law Update", Birmingham, AL 2007 - "Things you 'Auto' Know about Handling UM and BI Claims", Ft. Lauderdale & Orlando, FL 2005 - "Basic Comparison of Legal Issues in Alabama and Mississippi", Tampa, FL 2005 - "A Practical Refresher on Litigating the Mississippi Auto Injury Case", Jackson, MS 2004
- Through the Eyes of the Debtor: Mississippi Reexamines the Breach of the Peace Exception to Uniform Commercial Code Section 9-503, 15 Miss. C.L. Rev. 145 (1994)
Special Awards and Recognitions:
- "AV Preeminent" Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association - Alabama Bar Association - Florida Bar Association